Friday, December 2, 2011

Bangkok Fever

A few months ago, I signed up to go on a trip to Bangkok with the American Women's Association of Singapore.  It was guaranteed to be good; three days of shopping!  No meals to be cut into little bites, no complaints about the heat/walking/shopping/food choices from anyone except me!  The best part?  Our group of 10 would be guided by a professional shopping guide.  From what I've heard about Bangkok, we would definitely need one of those to make the most of our time. Unlike Singapore, taxis aren't required to take you where you want to go, and the traffic is horrid.  Indeed, it sounded like a great trip.  Thankfully, was that it was scheduled when Ben was certain to be in town, so I could confidently pay my registration fees and begin to plan.

Then the floods came; Bangkok has been under water and surrounded by sandbags.  One of the main attractions, Chatuchak Market,
which is touted to be the world's largest market, had a river running through it.  The safety of attempting such a trip was even questioned . The trip was cancelled.  Then, last Friday, I was shocked to open an email that told me the trip was once again a "go".  What a surprise. Our shopping guide even said that stores and markets were hanging signs proclaiming great discounts to try to gain back some revenue lost during the floods.  A weekend getaway AND bargains?  A dream come true! Let the research begin again!

Just look at this market.  As a child, I thought that a weekend trip to the Jockey Lot in Anderson, SC was the best entertainment ever - barnyard animals and boiled peanuts and so much more.  By all reports, Chatuchak is huge and wonderful, so it was sure be a thrill (but I bet they don't have boiled peanuts).  It's the kind of place I could wander around in forever, but it's the kind of place that the other 75% of our family would be completely done with in about 3.7 minutes.  And it would only take that long if there were good snacks.  So, the opportunity to go alone was fabulous.



Yesterday, the day before we were set to leave, I finally realized that what I thought was the same virus that B3 had last week and AK had this week was not improving.  They were both 100% better in 48 hours; I was on day #3 and feeling even worse.  I don't ever get a headache that doesn't have an identifiable cause, but this one was 3 days old, getting worse by the hour, and had brought a persistent fever along for the party.  A trip to the doctor confirmed that I had a virus, technically a type of meningitis, that is going around.  Evidently, there have been lots of folks who don't get headaches in her office this week.  Lucky me.  The best part of my doctor's visit?  Not the part when she said, "It is NOT advisable for you to travel anywhere tomorrow.  Stay home!"  I may have cried, but I'm not sure it was the searing pain in my head or her admonition that brought on the tears.

Great.  I think I actually went to the doctor just so someone else would tell me not to go; I knew it wasn't a wise decision.  Honestly, I think I would have been truly frightened to fly feeling like I did yesterday.  I don't think I'm a wimp; I trudged (and enjoyed every minute of it!) through London with my sister for 5 days in June while fighting (unsuccessfully) a particularly unkind and persistent stomach bug.   I might have been pale but greenish when we got to the top of St. Paul's 529 steps, but I did it. I gladly dined on a plain baked potato in Canterbury while she enjoyed what looked like absolutely delicious fish and chips.  I did what I could to make sure we got to see and do all that we could.  But yesterday?  A different story all together. 

Today, I'm feeling better, but I'm glad I cancelled.  Not only would I have been mostly miserable, but I'm afraid I might have passed it along to my fellow shoppers.  I hear they're planning another trip in the spring since this one was so popular, and I'll cross my fingers that I get to go. 

4 comments:

Chrystal said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry you're feeling bad AND had to miss your trip. Praying you are better soon!!

Chelle said...

That's terrible! If it's better than the Jockey Lot, it must be pretty great. I hope you get to go in the spring. Feel better!

Alicia said...

Do you suppose that somewhere, a Thai woman is dreaming of visiting the Jockey Lot?

Donna said...

Oh my goodness, Kristin!! I'm so sorry you were sick and missed your trip. That looks like a fun place to yo...I'd love it! Hopefully a spring trip will be better;)